Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hand of Doom Dark Chocolate Chambord Mousse


So. I'm not entirely sure why this is the perfect dish to have alongside Black Sabbath's Paranoid, but it is, trust me.

I had a few drinks one night and proceeded to tell everyone that chocolate mousse is perfect dish for this music. Something about it being rich and heavy and creamy like the sounds in some of the songs. I don't think I made any sense then, and I'm not sure I do now, but in true rock star fashion I'm going with my intoxicated instinct.
Because I can, thats why.

Ingredients  
1/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup Chambord (just one of those little bottles they have by the counters at liquor stores, or another kind of bourbon or liquor you think would be tasty with chocolate)

4 oz dark chocolate ( or a lighter one if you don't 'like' dark), chopped up

1 cup HEAVY whipping cream

2 egg whites

Directions
In a small saucepan, combine the liquor and the sugar to make a syrup. Just bring it to a boil so that the sugar dissolves, then remove from the heat and let cool.

Next step calls for a double boiler, you can make your own out of two pots you can stack (fancy like how I do it) Put water in the bottom pan to boil and then put the chocolate to melt in the top pan. Once melted, stir in 2 Tbsp of the cream, then slowly whisk in the bourbon mixture.
Set aside to let cool to room temp

Whisk the egg whites until they're stiff , then carefully fold them into the chocolate mix you've let cool (don't be a beast with it you don't want it to loose all volume)

Then, whip up the rest of the cream, yes, whipped cream, simple enough yes? good.  

Then, more folding, this time the whipped cream, into the chocolate/egg mix, folded gently (again don't whip it crazy, mousse is not mousse if its flat)

Then tah dah, done, spoon it into cups and chill it.
Go out and get a copy of Paranoid while its chilling and when you get back you will be ready to sit back, pop in the CD, and enjoy. Later headbangers!

No comments:

Post a Comment