Monday, July 23, 2012

The Black Keys-Gold on the Ceiling (Song Review)

So I posted my first efforts up on a couple of websites, and got some feed back. Before I jump into the review, I'd like to address that feed back. I'm trying out a different text color today, some said it was hard on the eyes. Secondly, I've done away with the numbered rating system in favor of descriptions, because I agreed with someone who said the numbers don't matter without some benchmarks. Lastly, I'm reviewing something contemporary.



Reviewing contemporary music is a bit tricky for me. I'm more versed in historical music, and I don't really fit in with the Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, and such of today. However, I do have a pandora account, and it introduced me to a nifty little song by a nifty little band the other day. So Ladies, and gentlemen....


The band, is Dan Auerbach (guitar, vocals) and Patrick Carney (drums). When they combine forces, they become The Black Keys, and as this is a review of a single song, not a band. I'll keep it short and sweet; these two guys from Akron Ohio, worked hard for everything they have, and they play kick ass bluesy rock music.

"Gold on the Ceiling" is lyrically cryptic, but from what I gather. This very catchy tune, is probably about Herion Addiction. Describing the struggle with drugs. I come to this conclusion from the lines:

"Down in the waves
She screams again
Roar at the door
My mind can't take much more"

and 

"Clouds cover love
Barbed wire snarl
Strung up, strung out
I just can't go without"

I interpret the chorus to be about other junkies coming around the home of the addict, and stealing from them. Gold on the Ceiling being a metaphore whatever the narrator values.

So a catchy tune with a dark undertone, or possibly I've grossly misinterpreted it, but the beauty of poetry and music is it means something different to everyone.

Sonically, it's straight forward blues rock, which to me sounds like what happens when ZZTop and The White Stripes influence two guys from Ohio.







No comments:

Post a Comment